Thursday, October 22, 2015

Let's Talk Books

On average I enjoy reading three books per month. I love to read, but sometimes I need prompting on what books I should read and where to get them. It's hard to find a book that you absolutely know you will like because you haven't read it yet. So the best way to find a book you know you'll like is to find a book you love and look for books with the same genre. You can also try to find books that relate to you on a certain level. Now, I'm not saying you should go off and read every book from the same genre or every book with a strong female lead, because you are missing out on many other great books out there. I'm saying, often, to find a book that you'll like you have to relate a bit, and that does not mean you can't explore. Jump out of your comfort zones. I enjoy reading Michael Crichton and John Green. While totally different authors, they still appeal to me because their opposite style of writing captivates me. My favorite book is called Falling Into Place as seen below.
Falling Into Place
Falling Into Place follows Liz Emerson as she tries to kill herself and what lead up to it. The book is in perspective of an all-knowing character that is revealed at the end of the novel. The book sounds a lot like Thirteen Reasons Why but it isn't. The stories are very diverse as Liz is struggling throughout the novel to stay alive, whilst Hannah from Thirteen Reasons Why is already dead. The reason Falling Into Place is my favorite book is because it is shown through a surprising perspective. The book also follows several characters that affected or were affected by Liz. Another part of the book that I love is the use of physics. In the novel, the author relates real-life situations to different parts of physics. The author, Amy Zhang, was only eight-teen years old when she wrote the novel. I think it's incredible how someone so young can write such a creative and engaging book. I can barely write a five hundred words in a blog, let alone a well written book.

I have also recently read many other great books. One of which is Looking for Alaska. Which is currently a best-selling book. John Green has recently become an extremely popular author for all ages, as recently two of his books have been turned into movies. I have read both of his books that have been turned into movies, and loved them. But this book was different. Although it was a great book and I read it in a few days. I felt like it didn't have as much thought or meaning to it as his other books. The book was beautifully written, but in a way it copied Paper Towns (one of his novels that was turned into a movie). Both Paper Towns and Looking for Alaska are about a quirky, nerdy boy who falls in love with a crazy, fun, and bold girl who ends up leaving him in one way or another. In both novels, he finds out that this girl is not who he thought and in the process he ends up finding himself. While the words of John Green are compelling, inspiring, and everlasting, I found that I ended up reading the same book in different way.  I love John Green's books and he's hilarious, don't get me wrong, but I'm just waiting for him to do something new and inspire me with that.

Books to me are a way to escape the world you are in and be someone else for a while. Unlike movies, books require lots of imagination. Through imagination you can come up with your own story, and interpret it in a way that no one else can. Books are used as a way to read the same words but read a different story. And I think, that is what is most important, because each and everyone of us has our own story.

No comments:

Post a Comment